Saving energy means saving money, and even though using an inverter mini split means serious saving in words of energy and money, there are also other simple things than we can do to save even more at home.
1. Unplug small appliances like the tv or the microwave when you are not using them. It works the same if you have power strips and turn the off.
2. During the day use natural light to brighten your house, open the curtains or shades and enjoy the sunlight.
3. Change all your lightbulbs to energy efficient ones, you’ll see the changes on your utility bill immediately.
4. Unless you need to otherwise, wash your clothes with cold water. Washing machines use 90% of its energy heating the water.
5. Use smaller kitchen appliances whenever possible. Microwaves, toaster ovens and slow-cookers can use 75 percent less energy than a large electric oven.
6. Don’t open the oven door while baking. Each time, the temperature can drop and requires additional energy to bring it back up. Plus you can turn off the oven 10-15 minutes before cooking time runs out and it will continue to cook without extra energy.
7. Air dry your laundry with this sunny weather instead of using the dryer and save tons of energy.
8. Set your fridge’s temperature between 3°C and 5°C, and the freezer to somewhere between -15°C and -18°C. Every degree lower after that uses around 5% more energy.
9. Reduce your water heating temperature in the summer, you would rarely need really hot water and it will save you energy and gas
10. Use laptops over desktop computers, by being plugged all the time they use more energy, plus they have a larger size that requires more than a lap top
11. Do full loads of laundry if you don’t need something washed right away, in the end you’ll do less laundry in a month and save a lot of energy
12. Keep your refrigerator and freezer as full as possible to operate efficiently
13. Charge your phone only for the time you need it for, don’t leave it plug overnight
14. Avoid putting objects that give up heat like tvs or laps near your mini split because it will pick up on a warmer environment and work harder